Berkovitsa is situated on the northern slope of the Berkovska Stara Planina Mountain along the valley of the Berkovitsa River, which is a tributary to the Barzia River, at an altitude above sea level 405 m. The town was mentioned for the first time in Ottoman documents of 1491. It is the successor of an old fortified settlement on the way from Sofia to Lom.
The remains of a fortress and a church were discovered at the Kaleto elevation west of the town. The settlement was known as early as the reign of King Kaloyan, and was mentioned as a border settlement in the period of the Vidin Kingdom.
The territory of the Berkovitsa municipality is situated in the mountain and hilly part of Northwest Bulgaria. The soils are mostly grey and light grey, and along the valleys of the rivers Barzia and Zlatitsa - alluvial meadow soils.
The soils in the mountain part are moderately sandy, clayed and have a compact clayed stratum.
The largest part of the area is a hilly mountain terrain, very often cut through by ravines. The lowest point above sea level is in the village of Borovtsi - 250 metres, and the highest point is the Kom Peak - 2016 metres.
Places near by: Montana | Berkovitsa | Bistrilitza | Boichinovtsi | Chiprovtsi | Georgi Damianovo | Iakimovo | Lom | Vurshets | Vulchedrum |