Football club Litex Lovech
PFC Litex was found in 1921, and over the years had more than 20 different names. Football was first introduced in the small crafts and agriculture dominated town of Lovech shortly after World War I. The first football club under the name Hisarya was found in May 1921. Subsequently the club was reorganized and renamed several times; in 1962 the club entered the Second Division and played there continuously for 31 years. In 1994 the club won the right to play in the Bulgarian Premier League, but after only two seasons there it slipped back to the Second Division due to financial difficulties.
Grisha Ganchev, CEO of Litex Commerce and graduate from the Lovech sports-oriented secondary school came to the rescue and helped PFC Litex achieve its greatest success. Litex won the National Championship in 1997/98, immediately after getting back in the Premier League and broke the reign of the Levski and CSKA, the two major title contenders from Sofia. Litex managed to outplay the teams from Sofia and won the National Championship again in the following season. PFC Litex became a major factor on the Bulgarian football scene, and acquired many Bulgarian and foreign national team players. The team from Lovech also entered the international scene, and competed in the UEFA Championship League and in the UEFA Cup.
In 2001 and 2004 Litex won the Cup of Bulgaria. The team has become a paragon of professionalism and progress, and managed to complete a large number of transfers to other European clubs. Litex and CSKA had transferred most football players to foreign clubs over the last few years that any other Bulgarian teams.
PFC Lovech is the only Bulgarian club who succeeded to transfer two players in the English Premiership; in addition, the team has transferred players to major teams in Italy, Germany, the Netherlands and Portugal.
|stadium:||"City stadium" - Lovech (capacitet 6500)|
|team colors:||orange and black|
|honours (to 2004):||Shampion of Bulgaria 2 times (1998, 1999)|
Targovska Street 12, 5500 Lovetch, Bulgaria
Tel.: (359 68) 2 00 12; 2-90-91; Fax: (359 68) 2 00 12