SVILENGRAD is situated in the southeastern part of Bulgaria just neht to the frontiers with Grece and Turkey.To the northeast its territory reaches the Sakar mountain and to the southuest-the Rhodopes. The Town is on Maritsa River and the mouth of its tributary Golyama Reka, 67 km souht-east of Haskovo.
The area of the municipality-about 701 sg km,is chiefly flat. The chimate in the region of Svilengrad is mostly Mediterranean. The winter is mild and the temperature in january are 2,5' C hidher than the average ones in the country.A distinctive feature about the region is that the number of the sunny days is almost dhe Giggest in Bulgaria. Population of 19 000.
A station along the railway line Sofia-Svilengrad-Istanbil.
The town is founded on the ruins of a Thracian settlement. In the close vicinity the late-antiquity Bourdipta wayside station is built, through which the Roman road from Philippopolis (Plovdiv) to Adrianople (Odrin) passed.
The Ancient Bridge built in 1529 is the symbol of Svilengrad. It isan unigue outfit for its time.And in nowadays the Bridge aver Maritza Riverusth its twelve vault arches is one of the most remarkable monuments insoutheastern Europe.It dates from the Ottoman rule.
After the Congress of Berlin (1878) the town remains within the territory of Turkey. Upon its liberation during the Balkan War of 1912 it is burned down and devastated by the Turks. To this day the Church of the Holy Trinity (1834) and St. Demetrius Church (1898) are preserved.