Town of Panagyurishte
The town of Panagyurishte is situated in a small valley in Sashtinska Sredna Gora. It is 91 km. far from Sofia, to the east, at 43 km. north of Pazardjik and at 37 km. south of Zlatitsa. Its name is from Greek origin and means a fair venue, but it become the symbol of the Bulgarian striving for freedom.
The Panagyurishte municipality has certain potentialities for a intensification of the cooperation with the Coprivshtitsa, Strelcha and Hissar municipalities in the sphere of tourism. It is expedient in this respect to think of the foundation of an association of the municipalities whose settlements took part in the April Uprising against the Ottoman rule in 1876. The Association of the National Revival Towns could also be used along these lines. The "Clean and Green Cooperation - 21st Century" association, which has not acquired a court registration yet, could also become a means of inter-municipal cooperation and assistance.
The Krassen Fortress - a military, administrative, economic and spiritual centre of the Pangyurishte region in late Antiquity and the Middle Ages (c. 4-14 AD) - is situated 5 km southwards of Panagyurishte.