Page update: 01 January 2000 Ardino

Town of Ardino, BulgariaThe town of Ardino is located in the west part of the East Rhodopes, 300 km away from the Bulgarian capital Sofia and 92 km away from the town of Haskovo. The river of Egridere picturesquely winds through the town.

The old name of Ardino is Egri-Dere - called after the name of the little river, which runs through the settlement. During the Ottoman rule district Egri-Dere covered central geographic lay in the sultan's land Sultaneri. After the Russian - Turkish war it was joined to the newly created Gyoumyourdjinski region, Vilayet Odrin. At the end of XIX th century Egri-Dere is a little settlement with several sheds at the market and a mosque (preserved up to the present), with a small narrow bridge over one of the gulches.

After the First World War it was included in region Mastanli. After year 1934 it passed over to region Stara Zagora. In year 1934 the name of Eri-Dere was changed into Ardino. Together with ten villages: Davidkovo, Leniste, Bial Izvor, Petkovo, Doino Prahovo, Zagrazden, Rusalsko, Ladja, Bezvodno and Tchamdere, it formed district of Ardino.

The region of Ardino is rich in historical monuments and places. The ancient road passing along the river of Arda and through the Ksantiyiski pass (Eledje) was used during the Middle Ages and connected the interior of the Thrace with Aegean region.

The region of Ardino disposes of wonderful conditions for developing of tourism. On its territory there is a considerable number of holiday houses suitable for eco and country tourism.The tourist complex of "The Silver Birches" is 7 km away from the town of Ardino, on the road Kardjali - ">Smolian. It is a natural birch reserve with total area of 3 680 decares. There were built eight modern chalets with places for amusement and relaxation. The air in the complex heals pulmonary and allergic diseases. It was announced by the Ministry of Welfare as "Health resort of national importance".
Another interesting tourist sight is the natural phenomenon "Hladilnika". It is a Karst cave form in the land of the village of Ljubenovo. Its name comes from the unusually low temperatures even in the hottest summer months.